Friday, December 16, 2011

The next Generation of Distance Education

After going through the readings and watching the videos, I can say that patterns show the importance of Distance Education. I think that many times, as an educator, we may mistake Distance Education for online work, but as Dr. Simonson has stated, online and E-Learning are types of self learning (Simonson, 2008). In the same way that you have to differentiate instruction and lessons, this would be the same with Distance Education. Every student will not respond the same or have the same outcome from distance education. However, for those who need and are able to improve from it, then it is for them. In reference to the Equivalency Theory, it proves the fact that not every method will be conducted or learned the same way, but the outcome of learning, will be the same.

In order for technology advances to be a success, we all have to be capable of supplying the material and knowing the material before we can teach the students. That falls back on keeping the traditions of a classroom, where the teachers all begin with the same vision in mind (Moller, Foshay, Huett, 2008). It seems as though educators are at times, in fear of learning new material, but in order to help those who are uneasy about new technology become comfortable, the new ideas have to be innovated, supported and displayed (Laureate Education Inc., 2008). The century that we currently live in, is different from what is known as the norm. The students seem to be born in the “technology” phase, so, in order to accommodate them, we have to be up to technology in our own learning.
 

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer) (2008). Principles of distance education: the next generation. Baltimore, MD: Author

Huett. J., Moller, L., Foshay, W. & Coleman, C. (2008, September/October). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the Web (Part 3: K12). TechTrends, 52(5), 63-67

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments about being able to supply the material for the students. As you stated, educators have to be able to keep up with what's going on with education and that would include technology wise also. This would help by incorporating a variety of technology tools through professional development which can help improve student engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true, I have begin to take initiative to use all the available material at the library at my school. Any extra material and technology that is available that I could use to strengthen the understanding or participation of my students, I want to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about the fact that our students now are born into a technological world. I know my own children - ages 18 and 15 - have known so much more than I do about the 'ins and outs' of how computers work. They help me with my cell phone, and all of my other technological devices. Technology is a part of who they are versus what, for me, is a learned craft.

    Amorea Trew

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if there are any studies about the rate of success for high school students. Your post made me think that with a great deal of freedom comes a great deal of responsibility.

    I did very well on my online courses but my students tell me that online classes are much harder than the regular ones. Since the content, scope, and sequence are the same, I wonder if the problem is that they lack maturity to succeed in online classes. They are conversant with the technology and they seem to grasp new technology almost by instinct, so the format of the course is not the problem. I think the problem resides with the learner. Guidance and close supervision is required with the younger students.

    ReplyDelete